Sunday, April 28, 2013

Some Things Sunday - #1

In (yet another) effort to tie together all of the thoughts I have flying around in this brain, I'm starting Some Things Sunday. Some Things Sunday is just going to be a various assortment of some things that I feel like talking about. Mostly random. I'm not going to really proofread, but just work on getting it out there.

So here goes Week #1 of Some Things Sunday...


1) Boston. 
Boston still stays with me. There hasn't been a day that's passed yet that I haven't thought about the runners, spectators, and the families & friends who were directly affected by the events in Boston. We got some closure last week when we saw the news about how the suspects were identified and found - and I couldn't peel myself away from the TV all day as everything unfolded.

The Boston Marathon is symbolic of a lot of things - achievement, spirit, hard work, triumph, setbacks, patriotism... these are just a few. This is why I take this attack on those ideals so very personally. While I'm still both angry and sad that this happened, so many wonderful things have come out of this horrible event. Erin's right - people are just friendlier. You see more smiles and waves from runners and non-runners on the street. In fact, I almost cried the other day when I was out shopping on the Friday of the terrorist capture: a rather heavy college-age girl and her mom were in my aisle, and the girl turned to her mother and said, "Mom, I think I want to run a mini marathon." Mom: "Why??" Girl: "Well, with all this stuff that's happening in Boston, I want to do it.... I can run a 5k, and if I can train for a 10k and maybe run 9 or 10 miles, I think I could run a mini marathon."  ...I wanted to hug this stranger girl on the spot. No, I didn't freak them out. But it brought a tear to my eye!

I want to continue to end on a happy note, so I'm going to show you some of the signs I saw in Boston... and hopefully they will inspire you too!




2) Puppy Training
...is going swimmingly!
We took Toby out to the B-Line today and let things come to us. He got to meet some new dogs, walked around inside JL Waters, saw some bikes and runners. He was so good! Toby turns 14 weeks old tomorrow, and he's already GREAT on the leash, knows "sit," "down," "stay," and "come."



3) PRs!!!!
Maffetone Training wins again! I've been doing nothing but slow, easy runs since the last time I posted about my training secret.

Round 1: Last week, Ben and I ran the Hoosiers Care 5k. I haven't raced a distance this short in a while, and it was on a pretty hilly course. I ran a 19:30-something on a 3.2-mile course, and Ben had me at 19:06 for the 3.1 mile mark. Woohoo!

Round 2: This week, I ran the Magnificent 7k [results]. It's been really nice getting back into the swing of Mag 7 races, but with more of the ultra & trail races coming up, I'm not sure how many I'll get to this season once the season really begins! Anyway, I felt heavy all during my warm-up and when the race started, finally kicked it and was able to go. I averaged something like 6:20 miles. I met some really great girls after the run - can't wait to run with/into them again soon!


4) Ladies' Night
Areté Athletic's first-ever Ladies' Night was a success! Sports bra fittings, nutrition consultation, skincare consultation, chair massages, ART from my favorite chiro, cupcakes & frosting I made myself, and Oliver Wine... all the makings of a great Monday night. I made it a Spring garden party theme, and it was so much fun. I met lots of ladies I hadn't met before, so hopefully this'll help us get the word out about the store. #tellyourfriends

5) Work
Some weeks are just fascinating. This week, I was in Indy Monday - Friday. Mon/Tues I learned about school safety -- preventing school shootings, what a school resource officer does, visitor access control to school buildings, and other safety issues. It was really enlightening! Did you know.... the human brain can efficiently process only:

  • 27 words, 9 seconds, or 3 main points in one statement
  • 30 words, 20 minutes, or 10 slides on a single PowerPoint presentation

...think about it.

Also, I had a team meeting and met some of my new team members from the Indiana/Michigan Region. We had some fun nights hanging out after work activites, including a night at Latitude 39 (like Dave & Buster's) near Keystone. We did a Minute-To-Win-It challenge and played the arcade games. My favorite arcade game was one where you hit targets on a screen by throwing plastic balls that are like ball-pit balls. I've never seen a game like it but it was so fun! On Minute-To-Win-It, we elected a team member from our 3-person team to put a cookie on his/her forehead, and then work it down (no hands allowed!) with their face and then eating it. First to eat the cookie wins. :)



That's the whole story! Hope you enjoyed Some Things Sunday. Have a great week, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...