Friday, April 27, 2012

Boston 2012 - the Runs!

The week's run in photos...

Milford, MA & Hopkinton, MA - ran on the Upper Charles Trail, a multi-purpose path that was once (next to) a railway. In Milford, it's called the Milford Upper Charles Trail and is split into two distinct halves - North of 495, and South of 495. The trail is planned to go much, much farther, but a large portion of it is still under construction.

As an outsider, the path seemed to be really safe and everyone EXTREMELY friendly. Not only did a couple tell me "Good morning" when I passed them the first time, but they told me, "Have a good day!" as I saw them the second time heading back to the Courtyard. Awww.

There are definitely parts that are more industrial (like a Benjamin Moore plant) or just butt up to the backs of buildings or parking lots, but never once did I feel unsafe or uneasy about my surroundings. I went in the morning as early as 6am, always in daylight. If you go, I recommend it!



Heading South (of 495)
Right outside my hotel: (you can see the hotel sign off in the distance beyond the sign) the Milford Upper Charles Trail. 



Lots  of boulders on the trail


This is what you'll be looking at if you hit this trail* - typical view.
Failed attempt at a photographing-while-running multitasking.

*Note: Don't waste your time running on the offshoot paths that aren't paved - they don't take you anywhere. I promise. I tried... I really did.

 There is a nice "trail head" and parking area near this lake. It was beautiful as the sun lit it up in the morning!

Random photo. I thought the gate was cool-ish.

More randomness... all the trees are in bloom!

Farther south, you run into Fino park (which was obviously empty at 6am) and head into the town of Milford. Again, road crossings are easy. People are so nice here! This is not the culture of the Northeast that I've always heard of...


It starts getting a little more townish when you hit this... as soon as you see this sign (although you'd come from the other direction), the path ends. On the map, this is the part that's still under construction to link to the other phases of the trail.



I took a little detour through the small town on Main Street, parallel to the trail, as I headed back toward the hotel. There are a number of pretty churches and historical-looking buildings like this one that are easy on the eyes (take the good with the bad - there are an equal number of houses along the route that need some TLC!)



Heading North (from 495)
First, from the Courtyard hotel I had to run across a couple of highway onramps/offramps. People are surprisingly very accommodating and are very willing to stop to let you cross.
Then, I ran under a series of 3 or 4 buzzing overhead electrical towers. Not as scary as it sounds.

Once on the trail (about 300 yards in), it was marked every 20 steps with this:


At first I thought it might be some math equation (don't judge - I get stupid when I run!)
In hindsight, I'm guessing every 20 steps = 20 yards. It made me feel like I was going fast! I get that it's marked by distance, but why?


Look at this and tell me it's NOT the Bloomington Rail Trail!
There were sections that you could hop off and run alongside the paved path on this softer surface, well within sight of the paved path.


More nice and cushy path! Flat, no roots, definitely not technical.

The trail is long and straight-ish as you go North.

The trail ends as it's under construction currently, but will eventually meander into Hopkinton. Meanwhile, I ran on the sidwalk-less road for about .5 mile until I hit sidewalks. Careful - the road is curvy and drivers can't always see you.

Hopkinton - the beginning of the Boston Marathon!


And home to cute and quaint New England homes like this one.

 All in all, highly recommend this trail if you're not going far - you can get some decent mileage out of it (8 to 10 on the whole circuit) and it's a good place to turn off the brain and get moving. Eventually, this thing will extend farther and turn into a really solid run!

Want to know exactly where to run (where I ran) in Milford, MA?
Here's my Garmin Data and map.



There's more trip to talk about!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...