Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Ben’s DWD - Gnaw Bone 50mi Race Recap, Part 1: Preparation


Although I am known for my candid reflections in race reports (see:
Rev 3 Cedar Point), I will preface that there was no involuntary (or voluntary) tears during this event.  In fact, I will attempt to touch on my feelings and thoughts throughout the race, but you will probably find this report to be more informational.  This is my way of taking note of things that I did in preparation and how to be better prepared next time... yes, next time.  Actually, this is one HUGE difference from Rev 3 Cedar Point that I can already notice... I am already thinking about next time (where I still haven’t thought about a next time for an iron distance triathlon – and its 8 months after).

The decision to run fifty miles at a single time had crossed my mind a few times the past few years -- and never once prior to that, after all that’s crazy!  About six months ago I even thought the opportunity would present itself in March at the Land Between the Lakes 50mi.  But, I had made a lot of changes to my training (which will be discussed in later posts) and I didn’t feel that fifty miles was the right move to keep consistent with these changes.  I had put that challenge off for another year (or so I thought).

However, the changes in training gave me a renewed energy for running (long) and I soon had run four 100+ mile weeks in a seven week span -- including one 156 mile week.  It was really that 156 mile week that brought the thought of an ultra back into my mind.  My last four days that week were 26.2mi, 30mi (in two runs), then back to back 20mi runs on Saturday and Sunday.  This gave me the confidence that I could recover quick enough to attempt a 50mi run and not have it completely put me out of training.

As the event (Dances with Dirt) neared I kept hearing of more and more BARA peeps doing it, so I decided to look into it a little more.  I had always put the event off because I thought it was mostly bushwacking (running through the woods, not on trails) and treks through the mud -- an ultra-mudathlon of sorts.  Plus, the winning times are 1.5-2 hours slower than some other courses and I wasn’t sure I was up for the added challenge on my first ultra.  After a closer look at the course map, I realized that most of it was on Brown County State Park trails or horse trails.  I had run some of these and knew firsthand that they aren’t so bad.  So, after a glance at the 7-day weather forecast and it looking PERFECT, I sent out an email to the race director about a free entry.  Note: We’ve held packet pick-up at the store for their event in the past, so I thought it worth a shot.  SUCCESS!  I was also able to score an entry for Steph, which I wasn’t sure was something she would like or not, but it gets me off the hook, right?

So, starts preparation mode... the course is a lollipop with approximately a 5 mile out, then two 20 mile loops for 50mi and one for 50k (15 miles of which are the same on each loop), and 5 miles back to the finish.  There are aid stations about every four miles and an opportunity to access drop bags approximately every ten miles the entire race.  I went back and forth all week on how much to carry on me and how much to rely on aid stations.  After discussing pros/cons with various ultra peeps including Scott Breeden (who had won the event in the past), I decided to rely heavily on the aid stations and avoid carrying as much as possible.

Included in my drop bags were pretty much everything I could ever need: a whole change of clothes - shirt, shorts, underwear, socks, shoes, hat, as well as sportwax, chewing gum, Tylenol, Navitas Naturals Caco/Goji Power Snack (for something solid), a 3-hour mixed bottle of Hammer Perpetuem (half on the first loop, half on the second) and a Vespa JR.

DSC_0142 DSC_0141
Drop Bag A – Miles 10 & 30                                                                    Drop Bag B – Miles 20 & 40

DSC_0154                                                 Putting nutrition in the hats made it easier to find in the bag

As for what to wear, I decided to start the race wearing Injinji liner toe socks to keep the toes from rubbing together with CEP compression socks over top to keep the poison ivy away and help with blood flow to the lower legs.  For shoes, I used the New Balance MT110s because of the rock plate and the potential for gravel on some of the horse trails.  On the bottom I decided on Nike short tights mainly because it has a back zippered pocket and a separate mp3 player pocket on the hip.  This was a tough decision because I wear split shorts more often, but the extra pocket was the clincher. Included in the zip pocket was 20 Hammer Endurolytes that I would take at each aid station (1-2 every 30-60 minutes)with the water provided.  I also used an mp3 player and wore my Garmin 910XT with heart rate monitor and foot pod.  I started with sunglasses because I wasn’t sure how bright the sunrise would be... but, I ended up taking them off at mile 30 because I hadn’t used them yet.  Lastly, I wore a homemade wristband from a chart I made in excel to determine my nutrition and bag drop needs (found and described below). This way I had vital information about the course and my needs at a glance of the wrist!

DSC_0160   DWDwristband
Starting outfit & gear                                   Excel snapshot of my preparation notes for the event including the wristband I wore (left columns)

The wristband might be a bit complex looking at first, but its really just a lot of codes that are easy to spot while running.  For example, the first column is the mileage to the next aid station color coded by the objective difficulty of that leg as interpreted by the description of the course (green – easy, yellow – moderate, red – hard). The next column is the total mileage for the race.  The third column refers to the aid stations and their relative available goodies (green – food, drinks, gel, etc., yellow – drinks and gel, red – water).  The letters A and B refer to drop bag availability.  The last column is a reminder of any essentials that should be done at the aid station.  .4P tells me to drink about 40% of my Perpetuem bottle.  gV tells me to grab my Vespa and tV tells me to take it.  s&s? reminds me to do a socks and shoes check and change them if necessary.  Other than that I have a note at the top of the band to take on at least 5oz of water (about a dixie cup) at each aid station and a GU as needed.  And lastly a reminder at the bottom that my goal is to have fun and finish… a subtle reminder not to get caught up in racing or time (at least in the early going).  Once ready, I print and cut out the wristband, then put packing tape on both sides (to “water proof” it) and scotch tape it on my wrist… tada! ready to go!

I had gone through a mental checklist in my head and felt confident that I had prepared for nearly any situation.  At worst I would have to walk as many as 5 miles to a drop bag station to reset and get going again… and I could always drop down to the 50k.

On my follow up post find out how much of this stuff I actually used/needed and how my first attempt at 50 miles unfolded!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...