Monday, May 6, 2013

Some Things - #2

Hey all! It's time again for SOME THINGS!



One more week down in the books. (It may be the running joke that this is intended for a Sunday post, but I just get around to it whenever. This format's totally workin' for me!)

1) Oh, Elkhart. 
Work kept me on the move again this week, and I was up in South Bend/Mishawaka/Elkhart half the week. The drive is my least favorite part.... it takes for-e-ver. After years of driving up there, I'm now getting the hang of it. Instead of the usual boring treadmill run and Chipotle dinner, now I run on the Notre Dame campus and hitting the Whole Foods hot bar. I'm a creature of habit.

The other night, I intended to run 10 miles on campus, and 3 miles in I started noticing "Run route --->"  signs and orange utility flags. And then 3 miles later, I ran into a group of people in some quad wearing running clothes and stretching. Turns out stumbled upon a random Tuesday night 5k fundraiser glow run hosted by a student group. After asking one of the students, she said that it was free to participate if I didn't want a t-shirt. So why not? I ended up running with an undergrad. It was really great to get in some miles without having to think about the route!

The next night after that, I got in a run on the trails at Potato Creek State Park. It was only ok. It was 85 degrees. It was flat. It was a mostly crushed gravel trail. It was like Eagle Creek. It was probably not worth the 30-minute drive from where I was staying. It was worth it for not having to run campus loops at ND again.
Everything looks better with Instagram!

2) Lentil soup.
Exciting!! I've been talking about making lentil soup for months so I finally did it. It is delicious. End of story.

3) Wedding madness.
Good weather's here, and that means it's wedding season!! The entire Bartley clan (minus Grandma) attended a wedding for a family friend. It was gorgeous... and not only was the food amazing, but they stole my heart with cupcakes.

Chocolate chip & Chocolate-carmel-sea-salt cupcakes from Gigi's
Ps- Have you ever seen Gigi's Cupcakes delivering around town (Indy)? It's a pastel pink van with a gigantic 3-foot tall/wide cupcake on top. You can't miss it... it's hard not to drool when I see it driving around town.

We clean up good!


 


4) Indy Mini.
Well, right before the wedding, Ben and I ran the Indy Mini. Ben ended up rolling with a 1:20 while pacing our friend Jeremy, and felt like he could have easily held the pace for another half marathon's worth.

Me? Check it:


I can't say it enough: Maffetone works! I set a new half marathon PR to match my new 5k best from a few weeks ago! This was 5 minutes better from my previous best (Indy Mini 2010, 1:31.45), running 1:26.38 this weekend. Back then, I was doing track workouts, weekly long runs, and pulling about 30-40 miles per week. And 6:30-pace was my 5k pace, not half marathon pace.

I ran as Craig, so this time won't go down as an official time for me personally... guess I gotta do it again! Crazy enough, even as a 57-year-old man, Craig didn't finish in the top 5 in his age group. In.sane. (Sorry buddy!) All I remember is that is was really windy.

Ben's post-race Instagram photo of me ended up on the Indy Star live blog of the event!


5) Pretending to be a Big Deal.
A bunch of us who are involved with the IU Run Club - but not actually a part of the college running club - were presented the Sagamore Awards at the Run Club's Year End Banquet on Monday night. It was pretty casual, and they are just such a fun, goofy, squatch-huntin' group. I love them! Our awards were framed, but we also got paper certificates that resembled race bibs. Cool idea! (Stealing it sometime...)



6) And because we can't finish a post without a puppy picture...
I took him on the B-Line the other day to learn how to obey commands with distractions. It kind of worked. The next step is learning how to/how not to greet visitors at the door -- both dogs have very bad manners! So anytime you're wanting to help out with training, we'd be glad to have you!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...