Sunday, June 2, 2013

Nikki Cat

My Nikki Cat was put down on Friday.




She'd been really lethargic and wouldn't get up off of her side in the last few days, and she could barely open her eyes. She wouldn't or couldn't purr like she normally did when you got near her. At her normal weight she weighed only 6 pounds, but was only 3.5 pounds when she saw the doctor on Friday. My mom took her to the vet thinking that she was having another thyroid issue,  and assuming that adjustments to her meds could help. But, the doctor saw her condition and realized it was worse: she guessed that Nikki had been struggling with some kind of intestinal cancer. They estimated she had only a few days left.



After making what I imagine was one of the hardest decisions of her life, my mom held her, hugged her, petted her, and tearfully told her goodbye. I know it was the right choice for as much pain as she was feeling. 



Neeks was really loved in the 16 years since a friend found her on the side of the road as a stray, emaciated, and plagued with worms. I can't even write or talk about her without welling up with tears, but it helps - bittersweetly - to remember how she'd wake me up on Saturday mornings (sleeping at the foot of my bed) in high school and the funny meow she would make - it sounded like she was saying, "Oh no?". Or how loudly she could purr! I could wiggle my fingers near the floor and she'd always come bump and rub her head against my hand as I gave her pets.




I feel really guilty that I didn't get to give her my usual goodbye when I saw her last weekend, because of the other commotion and distractions. Last weekend, Megan, Mom, & I were together - for the first time in many, many years - in the same place as Neeks (she was fine when we were there). I get to go visit maybe twice a year, but I think she waited to see us all one last time.


I miss Nikki a lot.... she'll always be my kitty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...