Friday, June 7, 2013

Whole30 + Fueling for an Ultra

Tomorrow, Ben & I are running the Hawthorn Half Day 12-hour ultramarathon and I'll be on Day 17 of the Whole30. This... will be yet another experiment.

The Hawthorn Half Day is a race in Terre Haute, IN that's as long as you want it to be: you run for up to 12 hours, and the person who runs the farthest wins. I could essentially run for 1 hour, take a nap for the next 11, and the distance I cover in the 3.1-mile loop course will count toward my mileage. When there's 1 hour left, the field gets moved to the 1/2 mile course; you get credit for loops you finish completely. Respect to the guy who logged 1 mile at the 2012 HHD on crutches!

Don't worry - I'll fill you in on the rest of the days leading up to this point, but as I plan ahead for the race (there's a first time for everything - I usually wing it!), I'm putting some serious though on what I need to fuel for the ultra.

Whole30 and Running So Far
It's been about two weeks of the Whole30. I have NO idea what to expect in terms of how my running will be, because most of my runs have been pretty lackluster lately. I haven't felt abundantly fantastic, but I haven't felt terrible either -- which was one of my huge worries going into this. Overall, I've been feeling like it's taking me a bit more effort to do what I used to do on a heavy diet of processed foods... just waiting for the body to figure out how to use the fuel I'm giving it! It's hard to call how this race is going to go right now, because sometimes I can feel blah going into these things and then surprise myself when it's go time.

  
Meanwhile, we finally captured my best - ever - totally staged running photo on Whole30 Day 5 in Boulder [left]! Most of the time I look like I'm walking [right - NYC 2011]... yay for looking speedy!


Whole30 Fueling for the Ultramarathon - The plan
After picking the brains of two of my favorite Whole30 girls, here's what I'm thinking I'll pack and prepare in my cooler (not including the kitchen sink):

-Sweet-
  • Ignite Naturals Reload energy gel - shout to Christy for letting me borrow some of her stash! This stuff is so popular they're still weeks on backorder.
  • Sweet potatoes - pureed. Possibly mixed with applesauce/coconut milk (?), in a gel flask. I take it straight. 
  • Apples/bananas - available at the aid stations every 5k. May bring my own.
  • Apple juice
  • Cashew nut butter
  • Dried fruit - mangoes, figs, dates
  • Baby food - confession: we started experimenting with this way before my Whole30 started. Gotta find one with the right not-too-watery consistency, and enough calories to last. 
  • Endurolytes - Guess what I just discovered?? A container of Tic-Tacs is the PERFECT dispenser for Endurolytes*! You're welcome, Ben. :) *Darn it, Endurolytes are not kosher. Will try S!Caps or Elete if I can find it in town, coconut water if I'm in a pinch.
  • Larabars and homemade "Larabars" - so many recipes (with Whole30 mods of course), so little time! I love love love the Key Lime Pie Larabar.


- Salty -
  • Prosciutto
  • Sweet potato, cut into chunks, and dipped into a container of salt. 
  • Hard-boiled eggs
  • Aidell's Chicken & Apple sausage - dare I? Food poisoning?

Recovery/Post-WO Food Plan
  • Sweet potatoes + veggie omelette + Aidell's sausage
  • Hard-boiled eggs
  • Leftover spaghetti squash & homemade tomato/meat sauce - turned out sooo good!!!
  • Bananas

Running Plan
My running plan for tomorrow's going to be pretty straightforward and simple - run, not too fast, and take breaks when I feel like it. Come with a good playlist. I won't be upset if I don't run for the whole 12 hours. I don't know a lot of about the course, besides that there are paved, grassy, and trail sections. Race starts at 7am and ends at 7pm, so think of me tomorrow. :) Here we go!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! What a neat type of ultra! Will be thinking of you. I love the key lime lara bars too! ginger snap as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great nutrition plan! Man, I had a small bottle of Elete but I didn't close it all the way, it tipped over in my pantry, and spilled everywhere.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...