Monday, August 15, 2011

CO2011 - second Monday

CO2011

One of the things I'm glad rubbed off of me and onto Ben is love and appreciation for vacations and traveling. We luuuurve our vacations!

More details/photos coming soon... having some technical difficulties with my camera phone.

Monday's adventures: Cliking/hiking up Mt. Elbert, hanging out in Leadville, a touch of altitude sickness, and ice cream.

The drive out was gorgeous.


Highway speed limit sign; the downhill drive would be straight out scary for a trucker (we saw one really bad wreck that took over 7 hours to clear) 35 mile speed limit on a highway! and that might've been uncomfortably fast.

Yeah - it was really steep. "Truckers: You are not down yet."

This looks like a volcano but is actually the colors from the clouds & sun rising. 

It was beautiful!!! This was on the drive in.









Beautiful forest in the beginning - this was the only flat part. We were even able to run it!












It was pretty cold/windy at the top, so Ben gave me his jacket. I was so hungry and that bag of popcorn was extremely good.

NIRCA represent! Why didn't we wear a store shirt?







This climbing/scrambling up rocks stuff was no mistake - this IS the actual trail.

Another (easier) type of trail terrain on this hike

Just getting out of the treeline.


The hike downhill from the top was ridiculous!


Tired but almost done!!

By the time I was finished, my headache (which I'd had almost from the very top) started getting worse, especially as we got closer to the bottom, which was at a little over 10,000 feet. It might've been because we descended so quickly(?). I felt completely drained too - but Ben felt fine, luckily! - almost as if I'd taken too many cold pills. Just didn't feel all "there." However, this was a better altitude reaction than last time -- last time, I just felt really nauseous but I was at least functional this time around.

This is Leadville, where we met up with Emily, Scott, Russ and their gang after our hike.

Cute coffee shop in Leadville

Taken from our lunch table. The food wasn't so great but the view was!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...