Sunday, April 10, 2011

2011 IU Mini Race Report


IU Mini Race Recap
The IU Mini was a crazy week all around. Ben and I were event managers as well as NIRCA Event Directors, and we also ran. Ben did the 5k and I ran the mini. Talk about triple duty!!

The IU Mini was mostly a last-minute thing. In fact, Ben signed me up (without my knowing) on Thursday evening, with the intention that I'd run more to get in a long pace run for Boston. It kinda worked, but we had  NIRCA stuff to take care of too. I was bib 998, and fortunately, Ben made sure I got my even number.

On race morning, Shiva, Rick, Chris, and I ran a short half mile warmup, and then stepped up to the line. It didn't take long to cross the start line, and the first two miles were a battle - as always! I loved the way the NIRCA start line and crowd got slowly absorbed into the general public race... it was awesome!! You could see the line of NIRCA college club runners slowly making their way toward our path. I ran with three club runners, two Loyola and a Central Michigan, up until the 5k mark. After that I slowed down somewhat, but kept pace with another pack nearby, who ended up being the Ohio State club. (I knew I'd recognized them from somewhere... Ben and I ran with them on the OSU campus in January.) After a while, I let them go around the Winslow hell-hill and eased it back in to the finish. I might've been able to run faster if I was racing racing, but I think I remember talking and holding conversations with people around me the entire race. 

These are Emily G's photos below. She is hilarious! Here's attempt #1 at getting a shot of me:
Left to Right: Michelle, other Loyola runner, (me), and Scott

And finally attempt #2:

And speaking of, I know a lot of people hated the hills on the course, but it was kind of cool knowing that Ben designed the course and that over 1,000 people were running on this path that he'd created. It's the same thing for NIRCA XC -- it's so weird that 1,000 people traveled to Btown this past Fall because of an event that I planned. Awesome feeling! In my case though, unlike Ben, I don't have several training group people shaking their fists while ascending the hill, angrily yelling, "Bartley!!!" as they realize who is ultimately responsible for their pain. :)

Moving on, I finally caught up with Alex around the YMCA, and we ran together for a while in his manic-paced running! He'd go fast then slow then fast then slow, and finally I couldn't take it anymore and dropped back, ha. At that point, I caught up with the CMU runner I had let go at the 5k mark, Scott, and tried to pull him along to the finish as we ran out of Wylie Farms. It worked for probably 1.5 miles, but when we crossed Indiana and Kirkwood he told me to keep going as he stopped to stretch. This was his first half marathon ever!!! [Hopefully Ben's course didn't ruin him of this distance for life.] As I crossed 10th Street, there was literally an old man in an electric chair, riding down the middle of the road, just as if he'd been "running" in this race all along. And the sad part was, I was having trouble catching him! Anyway, I muttered something to the cop at 10th about "How is this chair going so fast??" and got a little chuckle. Fast forward a few more blocks and a little more climb, and I finally got to the last turn back onto 17th. How cruel was it that the finish line was only right after yet another uphill? All of my race photos from Brightroom feature me with a completed pained and strained look on my face, the one that has been compared to more of a constipated expression. Observe below...

I was glad to have finished in 1:36ish without an excessive amount of leg pain, given all of the hills, but then was a little disappointed with my time (hey, I'm only just being honest) when I realized that the difference between a flat and this course was probably only 5 minutes. So once again, I didn't break 1:30, even though I know I've got it in me. Ben yelled at me a little for being disappointed because I wasn't even focused. And talked. So maybe that's true, which is why I love him. He totally keeps me in check!

The first-ever NIRCA Half Marathon National Championship race went extremely well, and we gave out some awesome-looking awards. A total of ~120 NIRCA runners competed. Then, we enjoyed some Chipotle burritos, sweet tea, and Jimmy John's sandwiches during the race clean-up. All in all, a great day!!


1 comment:

  1. It's funny to hear that you prefer even-numbered bibs, because I've always preferred odd numbers. :) I'm an even # in Boston, though, so maybe your even-number-good-luck-ness will rub off on me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...