Friday, April 22, 2011

People Know Me (Part 1)

"...I'm kind of a big deal."  -Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Before I post the Boston trip recap, check out one of the publications that came out right before our little vacation. It's an article in the Running Times, a magazine by Rodale (publisher of Runner's World), which focuses more on the athletes, elites, real training, and apparently more serious-runner stuff. Not for the faint of heart or super beginner, says Ben. It's not always an easy read - definitely aimed at the running geek junkie audience that RW just can't satisfy.

A few months ago, I gave a few interviews to Laura Allen, a journalism student at Ball State. She was able to pitch a piece for RT about NIRCA and collegiate club competition! She asked me how NIRCA started, what competition used to be like, what challenges we face, etc. Right before our Boston trip, I started getting facebook messages and emails about how they saw the NIRCA article. While I'm completely embarrassed at the only quote I have in there (I gave her a lot of background/non-quote info. Whew), how great is it that a) NIRCA and I made it into the mag and b) NIRCA gets some big-time press?? I've already seen some emails roll in after people read the article... they're college runners who want to start a club now, or ones who want to know more about how they can get involved. This is huge!

I still remember being on the small OSU team we could scrounge up for the roadtrip, enjoying the warm day at the Muncie course after the race [How'd I do? I led for 2 miles and then finished 5th after I took a few people the wrong way on the course. Go me]. I remember Bryan Beightol standing on the back of his old truck giving out awards at the first-ever intercollegiate meet, before NIRCA even existed. Look how far we've come! Good thing she didn't mention all of the other acronyms NIRCA could've been... NCCCA? NCRCA? Yep, that almost happened!



I hadn't been able to get my hands on a copy of the May issue until we got to Boston. It was actually pretty cool to be at the Boston Marathon expo, flipping through a magazine at one of the booths to find an article about us! (or, to find my name in their magazine!)

So if you can't get to a RT, check out the scanned article here. (sorry for the poor photo quality). Click on the photos for a larger/zoomed/downloadable view.

Enjoy!



ps: You might've noticed that this is Part 1 (technically 2 if you count the earlier HT feature of Boston Marathoners).... 'cause there is more Steph Bartley in the news!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...