Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Apocalypse

Today we ran 16 on the Rail Trail with Ted, Magnus, Ben, and Chris, with the intention of going 18. The extra 2 didn't quite happen because it rained SO hard we all felt like we had peed our pants. Actually, we discussed that we probably could have peed our pants and no one would have noticed.  :) In all seriousness though, we ran through a thunderstorm with lightning bolts all around us - it was kind of scary/cool! We probably should've been listening for tornado sirens or something, because it got scary dark. When the guys said that they imagined the apocalypse to be like what we experienced this morning, all I could think about for the next 2 miles was the SNL Aflockalypse Apocafish skit:

But I digress. This run was our last-ditch effort to try to feel ready for Boston. Boston. Goal: finish. Today's run gets me completely frustrated. How have I never completed a marathon - of 7 so far - without being injured? After all of the doctor's visits I've had in the past few months, they've come full circle; the injuries I went in for initially are now back (with some other bonus injuries) and nothing's really improved. Ugh!!! I'm pretty much at wit's end.

On the other hand, I was able to get a good number of miles in this week (not without pain). Since I was traveling, the hotel treadmill seems to be pretty friendly on the leg, possibly because it forced me to run a certain way. I haven't noticed much difference on a soft vs. hard surface. And, in all of these runs, despite all of the junk, beer, and Chipotle I've consumed this week, every run felt good! Sure, my legs were tired, but even on workout days, I somehow managed to pull it out. For that, I'm proud of myself! And point number 2: because of the time difference in Chicago, it was easier to trick myself into waking up early, like at 5am, to hit the gym. However, you'll never find me willingly waking up even at 6am in Eastern time. It just doesn't work!

April so far:



The other good thing about this week was that I got to run with one of the managers at the Midwest Region meeting on Tuesday morning.  Let's see... he would be my manager's manager, except for he presides over a different operating group---- i.e., no reason to brown-nose, even if I was that type, ha!! Besides that, he might be my hero because he has finished 4 Ironmans and he travels pretty much all the time. If you think I travel a lot, he lives in New Jersey and his office is technically in Chicago. We talked about how he had time to train and stay in shape, especially with hotel constraints, workout equipment, and just being on the road. Remember? That was my huge dilemma with this job - and he's got the same one times a million! He shared a book with me, called "Be Iron Fit" (author: Don Fink) that emphasizes time-efficient training for busy people, which includes lots of training plans, depending on your distance and goal. Rich is also awesome because his wife does Ironmans too! Apparently she's a 3:10 marathoner and trains with some pro triathlete women... not bad for a couple from the Jersey Shore. Here's the book:
Be Iron-Fit: Time-Efficient Training Secrets for Ultimate Fitness

So, it's good to be back home after a solid work week away, and the next time I travel, it's going to be to battle at Beantown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...